Wednesday 3 October 2012

Installation & Continued Research

I have been looking at underground space and grass, being something we see every day but don’t really think of what is underneath the grass, the roots, soil unless we have to for what ever reason! I am thinking roots as being the senses that are apart of this underground space! How the roots move and overlap within there space reminds me of overlapping lines and continuous lines! To help me visually see how these roots/lines work together I created a simple page of overlapping machine & embroidery threads and ribbon. I used these different types of threads because it makes the lines different sizes like roots are, some ticker & longer than others!
I then decided to continue on the flow of this piece as if it were the roots growing within a space, up the wall and then I decided as I am looking at underground space to bring the ribbons down the wall onto my desk and down wrapping around the leg of the desk,
 I am going to change and document the direction of the 'roots' threads in some way for the coming weeks and go with whatever idea comes along within that time which will make this installation different and more effective,


I then cut out a small black circle and placed it underneath my desk to give the impression the threads were disappearing underground..


A Change of Direction

 I felt in the last piece that the overlapping and the direction of the lines were the most effective, so I took away the threads that wrapped around the leg of the desk and continued to spread out the threads as if they are growing and will eventually cover my desk



I am using photographs as a way of documenting the 'growth' of the piece, as if the threads are taking over the space.



 
 


 

 

 

 

 
 






1 comment: