Saturday 24 November 2012

Taking Over a Space..

My aim in this Installation is to take over a space, in this case it is my studio! I thought about the roots as they grow and multiply they also take over there space I thought it was time I started to do the same. I used the ribbons in a pervious piece and had them taking over my desk, this time I took away my desk given me more room to display and hang my work! I am working with rope as it is more organic and when manipulated these little bits of rope stick out and kind of reminds me of roots, almost like small hairy bits! It also takes great to nylon dyes!

I am moving further on with my project and taking it to a new stage instead of having the lines flow and overlap like the roots I am taking the idea of the connecting lines and negative space it creates but changing the direction of the line making them geometric and spreading the lines across the room as if it is like a large sheet covering this unoccupied space! By connecting the lines I can keep adding and adding more rope till It takes over the whole space! Using the rope as a drawing tool I plan to then document this process and using the images as if they were drawings and creating something with them.
Colour is also a big element in this piece I am again using these femine colours each piece of rope hand dyed a different colour when there joined together the colours all connect just like piece itself! I then plan to take this piece and place it somewhere abandoed/unocuppied were you would never except to find femine colours let alone this take over of rope! I have also hand dyed pieces of fabric and attached them to some of the rope just to highlight the negative space and make the viewer more aware of it when looking at this piece! It also makes the piece more interactive and some people can’t help but touch the fabric some have even said that is reminds them of a hammock, parachute and various other things and by doing this they are interacting with the piece it is getting them to think and have there own opinion!
As can be seen in these images each line is connected to a different colour. I never attach a line going straight accross to another one I have to attach it at an angle because when roots spread out they never grow in a straight line and they always grow out from another root.





















Following a line..


Also the colour element again people have been saying that the colours brighten up the space that is makes the space more inviting, makes them feel good and even makes the space more cosy so It will be interesting to see what the response is when the piece is placed somewhere cold and out of context will it brighten it up or look out of place will soon see... 

No comments:

Post a Comment