Thursday 8 November 2012

Jessica Stockholder


Jessica Stockholder is an installation artist, her work is abstract and has no 'meaning' behind it. She combines objects that would normally not be put together and works using house hold items, objects that are cheap and in reach. She also works with bright bold colours, plastics being one of her main sources!


 I am currently using Stockholders work as inspiration to my own! I too love to use bright and famine colours and combining them together I just feel colours make everything more interesting and happier! I also like her use of materials as an artist I have struggled some what with using items that are in my reach instead of running out and buying materials, with the ribbons in my last installation although I brought it as far as I think it needed to go it was only after it was finished I realised I didn’t need to hand stitch all this fancy ribbon I could get the a similar effect with my dirty washing and now I am currently working with dyeing rope and straps of fabric all in my reach! Some of stockholders installations as pictured below are so large that they fill the room, that is what I am currently trying to do with my installation piece.



I watched some YouTube videos of Stockholder but this one stuck with me!! I can relate to how she speaks about her work and how as an artist form is so important and even though she could not explain why she placed her objects, she will no when each piece is finished, I find with my current work I am overlapping and connecting lines that are then creating these negative spaces when I am looking at what piece of rope to put were I cant explain to everyone why I placed it were I did for me it just works.





No comments:

Post a Comment