Sunday 30 December 2012

Abandoned Space.. Let the Search Begin...

 Over the Christmas holidays I have been searching Dublin for somewere to hang and display my ropes just like I did in my studio. I wanted to find somewere that was abandoned, house, carpark etc, somewere that would be the last place you think of seeing this bright coloured piece! I seen an image in a book I got from the library it was an Installation in an abandoned house in Incheon, Korea, Sadong 30 (see image below), What struck me most about this is how noticeable although these objects are very small the impact they have on the dull abandoned room, why? because of there colour! I am so fancinated with colour and how it can just change this dull, dirty and depressing place and make it something you want to look at and then it got me thinking were is this place? why is it abandoned? the whole story behind it, just becomes something so interesting, to me this is all to do with the colour.
 While searching for a place I had this image in my head but unlike this artists work I have to find somewere I can tie my rope too so an abandoned house is no use to me it has to be something open maybe carpark somewere abandoned with trees or polls around, I searched afew carparks but some were too busy and others too wide, I searched parks, playgrounds but all with similar problems.


I want the rope to take over the space like it did in my studio with the lines being geometric and spread out like a blanket not like the lines I had taken over the unoccupied space on the stairs in my perious installation. My biggest fear before I took down my installation piece in my studio was that I would not be able to set up the ropes and fabrics the same as I did, (see below image) I no it will not be the exact same but I wanted to make it as similiar as I could with the same amount of rope and fabric. I just had to find the right place to set up! It was a risk I had to take.



No comments:

Post a Comment